With the cold winter forecast on Pluto, it should be of great importance to ensure that your kids stay healthy and away from the dreaded Flu! We all have our fair share of experiences with sick children… You know, the crying, fussy behavior, loss of appetite, crankiness, and so on so forth. Knowing what you will have to deal with, let us be sure to do our best to keep our kids healthy this Flu Season. Here are some quick tips to help your children stop the Flu bug from invading Pluto:
- Stay Clean – There just aren’t enough sinks in the world to keep up with an active toddler’s hand-washing needs. Disinfect your childs’ hands (and yours) constantly with your most trusted Hand Sanitizer.
- Stay Hydrated – Make sure your kids are properly hydrated throughout the day. More trips to the bathroom isn’t as bad as a week’s worth of miserable crying children =) If you’re having trouble getting your child to drink water, try making it fun and let them choose their own Nalgene bottle - whether it’s their favorite character or favorite color, it’ll make drinking h2o more enjoyable.
- Stay Warm – Make sure the home is warm and cozy. I remember one of my fondest winter memory as a child was being inside my home, bundled in a blanket, and watching Christmas movies. When outside, layer your children up with clothing. Although the sun may be out, it’s still quite chilly, especially if there is a slight breeze!
- Stay Moisturized – Piggybacking off the tip above about staying warm, if you turn on the heater in the house, this often comes with the side-effect of dry skin. Keep your child’s skin moisturized with the frequent application of body lotion. Take it one step further and use humidifiers as they are great for providing moisture to help soothe nasal congestion, dry cough, sinus irritation, and dry skin.
- Stay rested – Have your kids stick to an early bedtime schedule to get plenty of sleep. Sleep deprivation nearly doubles the risk of catching a cold or the flu.
- Stay nutritious – Meals with plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables will help boost your child’s immune system. Look for foods rich in Vitamins C and D.
Lastly, and most importantly, go as a family and get your flu shots!
Have a great weekend and stay healthy everyone!